SteelAsia is the first and only company in the Philippine steel industry to be certified to ISO 14001 (Environmental Management Systems), and the first and only as well to certified to OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management).
Embedded into every steel bar that SteelAsia delivers are the technological investments that reduce the environmental impacts, protect the health and safety of the public and employees of SteelAsia.
- SteelAsia mills have zero-wastewater. 100% of the water exiting the operations line are not drained as effluent but rather channeled into a dedicated waste-water treatment facility on the premises, and cycled back into operations.
- SteelAsia has been on the cutting edge of resource-usage minimization. It has implemented rainwater-collection, from the roofs of its buildings and roads at its plant site. Rainwater is increasingly the main source of water for SteelAsia, as in its Davao plant operations which operates while recycling 80 cu. meters of rainwater every hour.
- Air-oil lubrication is a new technology that SteelAsia has implemented. Lubrication is in a closed system, rather than an external application of lubrication that latter of which may result in ground contamination from used oil.
- SteelAsia uses automated furnaces. Through sensors and automation the optimum fuel-air mixed is achieved, minimizing particulate emissions. This also ensures optimum burning saving fuel by up to 30% compared to zero-automated furnaces.
- Hot-charging technology reduces fuel consumption further by another 35% in SteelAsia’s mini-mill.
- Furnace stacks are up to 50 meters high ensuring that with air dispersion, emissions stay well below the allowable limits at ground level.
- The pioneering use of AC motors driven by individual Process Logic Controls saves on power consumption by more than to 25% and significantly reduces noise levels.
- In-line rolling stands increase the safety of the mill compared to accident prone cross-country configurations.
- SteelAsia uses heat recuperators to recycle energy and save on fuel.
- The use of LED technology to reduce power consumption.